Thursday, August 27, 2009

The numbskull in Helena Montana

102 miles. What the crap was I thinking? I did it but I think I'm stuck taking another rest day. I've decided I have way too much food with me. I don't need more than two days food at any given time. On my other route, the one I'm not doing anymore I would need two weeks worth of food. But now I don't.

I'll keep carrying it but for now, just know how pissed about it I am.

Yesterday was hell, today has been awesome. I've meet at least one 'Prophet of Helena' who has explained to me exactly why Helena is the best town in the world. I'm inclined to agree, except...I see no evidence of a symphony orchestra nor do I see an opera. Two major requirements for homesteading. That and everyone here seems to be married. Not that its necessarily a bad thing if you're married but you can't expect the young single guys to flock to a town full of married folk.

On the other side it has a pretty sweet bakery called the Park Avenue Bakery. The breads and other vittles to be had there are top notch, on par with Germany in my opinion (home of the best bread I've ever had).

I'm about to have a bit of a look around the Blackfeet River Brewery and drink what I can see. Hopefully I will be sober enough to ride the 68 miles I want to do today and not spend another 50 bucks on a hotel room. Two bike shops, one gear shop and two breweries. I think this place has its priorities in the right place.  More on Helena later. Right now its time to drink some beer!

No comments: