Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cooking


I just purchased a pressure cooker of the 1.5 liter variety and have tried it out several times now. Food that comes out of this darling little pot has never tasted so good. Cook pasta in two minutes, cook rice in three! Want some beans? Soak them in a spare bottle for a couple of hours and they cook up in 5 minutes!

Why hadn't anyone told me of this before?!? Thanks Ira and Andrea over at BikeTour2K6. Until then I had never heard of anyone taking one of these puppies anywhere but from the shelf to the kitchen.

As it turns out the one from GSI is quite expensive (for me) and it's made in China anyway (not that it's necessarily a bad thing but does Chinese cuisine require a lot of pressure cooking?) and it's pretty big (around three liters). Perfect for a pair but not so perfect for me. I mean a cup of rice and beans will feed me after the longest of days until I'm bursting with nutritious goodness. So I opted for a much smaller (1.5 liter) and I'm assuming, more efficient (in terms of weight and size, cooking capacity and fuel efficiency). The made in India model A00 from Hawkins. It's a bit awkwardly shaped for stuffing into Pannier but I think I can work it out considering it's not that much larger than my original cookware and replaces both pots. I think I may still take the frying pan for things like bacon, eggs and pancakes (mainly breakfast I guess).

Anyway, I haven't taken it on a ride yet but I can definitely recommend it for your kitchen for one and definitely goes on my desert island gear list for it's quick fuel efficient cooking.

No comments: