Friday, May 22, 2009

The Cockpit


I want to talk a little bit about the choices that I have made for my cockpit. You will notice that there seems to be a lack of technology, and with the exception of the Knog N.E.R.D. 12 computer that my local bike shop Smart Bike Parts sold me for a song, you would be right. I haven't the patience for things like STi or Caliper brakes. I am much happier with my cantilevers , basic brake levers and bar end friction shifters. What happens if my fancy STi cracks off when my bike falls over under a load? Will a local bike shop in the middle of nowhere have one in stock? will I be able to afford to purchase it? These are problems I would rather not deal with.

So, for me, simpler is better. I can ride and still shift without ever signifigantly changing my riding position AND they wont fail if I happen to shift incorrectly (although other failures can happen, b0rk3n chain and such).

As for the cantilever brakes, they fit any size tire. All the time, period. I'm riding a Salsa Cyles Bell Lap bar which is actually a Cyclo-cross bar. I'm thinking about a euro bar for the big tour but this bar affords a ton of real estate for ones multiple positions.

No comments: