Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Promise of Citizenship

Today is the primary election for Illinois. Have you voted yet? I have. It's a pretty amazing thing, when you think about it. The vote. I put some marks next to some peoples names. One of whom, I know and the rest are ambiguous mysteries with their public lives as open as Ubuntu and their private lives sequestered in the murky shadows of, well, privacy. Which is just as well because, I'm really not interested in their private lives. I just want them to perform the duties of their office well and with out totally destroying our rights as citizens of this nation.

At this point it doesn't feel like many of us has a say in the way things work around here. I don't feel like I have a say in whether our army goes to war or not. So the best I can do is try to elect and get elected people who will act in the same manner or better than I would if I was in their situation.

If you haven't already, you should go vote, it's fun and you get to feel like you've had a say in something.

No comments: